South Dublin County Council has announced the opening of the annual Red Line Book Festival Poetry Competition.
This is a hugely popular event each year which receives entries from all across Ireland!
“This year we are honoured to have Mary O’Donnell, renowned poet and novelist of exceptional talent, as our judge for the competition.
The closing date for entries is Friday 11th August 2017.
Red Line Poetry Competition Rules
• The winners of this competition will receive the following prizes: 1st Place €300, 2nd Place €200 3rd Place €100
• A maximum number of 2 poems per person may be submitted.
• Poems should be in English and be a maximum of 40 lines (not including the title and spaces between stanzas).
• There is no theme – your poem(s) may be on any subject of your choosing
• Each entered poem, including its title, should be typed single-spaced in a standard 12 point font on one side of a single A4 sheet. No fancy/coloured/oversized fonts or images please!
• All entrants must be 16 years of age or over.
• The competition is open to anyone living on the island of Ireland.
• Closing date for entries is Friday 11th August 2017. No entries will be accepted after this date.
• Poems must be the original work of the entrant and must not have been published either in print or on a website, not be currently submitted or accepted for future publication. They must not previously have been awarded a prize in another competition.
• Entrants must not have published a full collection of poems at the time of entry.
• Only hard copy entries will be accepted. Please retain a copy, as entries cannot be returned.
• Please complete the entry form (available to download from www.redlinebookfestival.ie) and send it along with a stamped self-addressed envelope and your poem/s to:
Red Line Poetry Competition
South Dublin Library HQ
The Square Industrial Complex
The Closing Date for receipt of ALL entries is: August 11th 2017.
• Poems cannot be altered or changed after they have been entered.
• Poems are judged anonymously. The entrant’s identity must not appear alongside the poems.
• The adjudicator’s verdict is final and no correspondence shall be entered into regarding individual competition entries. Shortlisted entrants only will be notified.
• Winners will be announced at an event during the Red Line Book Festival in October 2017 where they will be invited to read their winning poems. (Travel to the event will be at entrant’s own expense.)
• Copyright stays with the author but Red Line Book Festival reserves the right to publish winning and short listed poems on its website and/or in print.
No employee of South Dublin Libraries may enter the competition