With the Leaving and Junior Cert exams due to start next week authorities have made an appeal for people to correct them.
An ad on the State Examinations Commission website says it urgently needs teachers to mark the 2017 exams.
The positions are open to all serving and retired teachers “irrespective of experience” and to those who have just recently completed their teacher training.
The SEC says it will be appointing examiners “right up to the start of the marking conferences in June and occasionally afterwards, in order to fill vacancies and in response to examiners dropping out for a variety of reasons”.
The subjects where there is most need are:
- Leaving and Junior Certificate Spanish
- Leaving and Junior Certificate German
- Leaving Certificate Business
- Leaving and Junior Certificate Irish
- Leaving and Junior Certificate Italian
- Leaving and Junior Certificate Home Economics
- Junior Certificate CSPE
- Junior Certificate Religious Education
- Leaving Certificate Ordinary Level Mathematics
Those applying for the positions must hold a third level degree or equivalent, have recent teaching experience in the relevant subject area or related subject, have good organisational and analytical skills, be able to work to a fixed time-scale, be available to work full-time for the duration of the marking and be resident in the Republic of Ireland during the marking period.
Leaving and Junior Certificate students begin their exams next Wednesday June 7th.